FAQ: Boatsetter Captain Network- Booking Prices
At Boatsetter, we strive to be the most trusted and transparent marketplace for boat rentals and memorable on-the-water experiences. Next week, we are separating captain fees from the boat price for all captained bookings to facilitate better utilization of the Boatsetter Captain Network in compliance with USCG regulations.
For all captained bookings utilizing the Boatsetter Captain Network going forward, the captain price will be displayed as a separate line item to the boat price you set and the captain price will be paid directly to the captain through Boatsetter from the renter payment.
If you are a commercial operator, you are responsible for providing the list of captains to renters and coordinating their payment.
Q: Why is this change happening?
A: We are making this change in order to ensure our platform is fully compliant with USCG regulations. While we understand change is hard, we will always make necessary adjustments for the safety and convenience of our owners, renters, and captains.
This change will help create a better booking experience for our owners, renters, and captains by accomplishing the following:
- Offering owners a seamless booking process and removing the need to worry about the logistics of coordinating captain price or payment.
- Offering renters a more transparent price breakdown for booking fees and the captain price during checkout.
- Offering captains a reliable and consistent payment source. For captained rentals utilizing the Boatsetter Captain Network, the captain price will be paid directly to the captain by Boatsetter once the trip concludes.
Q: What happens if I do nothing?
A: Since the captain price will now be added to the boat price, the total booking amount renters pay will increase based on the determined captain rate (see below).
Q: How do I ensure the total price of my booking does not increase?
A: To ensure your captained booking price does not increase, you will need to update your captained booking settings:
- Go to “My boats” from your Owner dashboard
- Select “Manage boat” for boats with captained bookings
- Edit “Options and Pricing”
- Select “Boatsetter will provide the list” for the question “Who will provide a list of captains to renters?” (see screenshot below). Once selected, the captain price will be added to the boat price.
Q: How will this change impact owner as captain or owner with a preferred captain assigned?
A: This update will not affect your existing captain settings.
Q: How does the Boatsetter Captain Network work?
A: When you are configuring your listing, you can choose to offer captained rentals. All captained rentals (unless you have your own commercial insurance, in which case you also have the option to provide your own list of captains to renters) use the Boatsetter Captain Network, the largest community of USCG-certified captains. You may select which captains operate your boat for captained bookings, and they will be paid directly through the Boatsetter platform – no additional coordination required. Learn more about adding a captain here.
Q: I don’t offer captained trips. Do I need to do anything?
A: No, you’re all set!
Q: Are captains getting paid more?
A: No, the captain’s rate has stayed the same.
Q: Is Boatsetter making more money with this change?
A: No, we’re not making additional money with this change. We’re making this change in order to ensure our platform is fully compliant with USCG regulations while providing a better and more convenient experience for our owners, renters, and captains.
Q: Does this change impact the trips that I have already booked?
A: No, they will be grandfathered based on the booking date. Once this change rolls out, any booking(s) confirmed after the rollout will be subject to the new pricing structure.
Q: What about if I’m captaining my own boat?
A: Although renters will be paying a separate captain price, you will receive both funds to your account. For example, if your boat price is $400 and captain price is $200 your total payout before fees is $600.
Q: What are the captain rates that renters are paying?
- Boats less than 30 feet in length: $200
- Boats 30 – 49 feet in length: $240
- Boats over 49 feet in length: $350
- Boats less than 30 feet in length: $350
- Boats 30 – 49 feet in length: $425
- Boats over 49 feet in length: $650
Our Owner FAQ hub will direct you to commonly asked questions and answers from our expert team. Should you have an additional support inquiry, our 24/7 team is available to assist you at firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-600-5435.