Miami International Boat Show 2018 Sneak Peek
If you’re reading this from South Florida, you already know the big event this week: the Miami International Boat Show starts this Thursday. As Boatsetter is sponsoring the show this year, we got a sneak peek at the space last week. Let us tell you: it’s going to be incredible!
Even if you’re lucky enough to have tickets for the whole week, it can be challenging to plan exactly what you’ll see there and when. Fortunately for you, we’ve got a tried-and-true guide to show that is guaranteed to make your week. Read on for the best of the Miami International Boat Show!
- Boating classes: Always wanted to improve your sailing or just learn more? Not sure where to get quality classes? Enter the Boat Show. This year they’re bringing in national boating experts for both motor and sailboats for all skill levels, including precision docking, catamaran, and couples’ sailing courses. Make sure to register online before heading to the show!
- Hurricane Updates: Boaters in Florida and the Caribbean cannot forget the hurricanes of Fall 2017; with Hurricanes Jose, Irma, and Maria destroying large swaths of the Islands, many people lost their boats, if not more. At Boatsetter, several of our Caribbean charter partners were offline for weeks as they rebuilt their homes–we later learned 60% of Caribbean charter fleet boats were lost. Learn more about the Caribbean Charter Scene and how the economy is doing after the hurricanes at 1:30pm on Friday, February 16 at the Port Tent.
- Boat Ownership: At Boatsetter, we think a lot about the costs of boat ownership–it’s in part responsible for founding our startup! Learn some great tips before you buy with “Purchasing a Hurricane Damaged Boat,” on Monday, February 19; The Realities of Catamaran Ownership on Thursday, February 15; and The Fourteen Biggest Mistakes when Purchasing a Used Catamaran or any Boat on Sunday, February 18, 2018. Trust us–these are going to be incredible, and we recommend them especially if you’re considering buying a boat anytime soon.
- Long Distance Cruising: Maybe you’re enjoyed a few hours out on the water but haven’t never tried a multi-day trip? If you’re ready to live aboard for several weeks or months, there’s many great classes at the Boat Show this year to prepare you for your voyage. We recommend Provisioning, Organization and Stowage Below onFriday, February 16, 2018; You’ve decided to Live aboard. Now what? On Saturday, February 17, 2018; and, What Works: Tips and Techniques for Long-Distance Cruising onMonday, February 19, 2018.
- Caribbean trips: This category is hands-down our favorite! There’s going to be so many incredible itineraries and tip sessions, whether you’re planning to sail around the Florida Keys, the Caribbean, or sail from Florida to the Bahamas. You can learn from boaters who have made the voyage and back again, from favorite anchoring spots to avoiding rough patches of sea. Here’s a few we’re excited for: Current Caribbean Cruising Routes and Destinations on Monday, February 19, 2018; Cruising the Florida Keys on Sunday, February 18, 2018; and Exploring Antigua and Guadeloupe on Sunday, February 18, 2018.
For a full list of seminars and offerings at the show, click here.
If you attend the show, look for a special treat we’re offering to those who receive our Boatsetter flyer! We’re also giving away a free boat trip to those who scan our QR code at prize towers in the show!